On this page:
- Important Annual Dates
- College Health Insurance Plan
- Waiving the Kalamazoo College Health Insurance Plan
- Additional Health Resources
Important Annual Dates
- MAY – The ANNUAL health insurance enrollment/waiver period is May-August to be completed at CHP Student Health
- JULY 1 – Athletes, Land-Sea leaders, and study abroad participants must enroll or waive by July 1st.
- AUGUST 1 – All students must enroll or waive the College health insurance plan by August 1 to avoid the charge being placed on the student account.
- SEPTEMBER 30 – DEADLINE to waive and have the charge removed from the student account. Students who do not complete the waiver by the September 30 deadline will be enrolled and billed for the Kalamazoo College Student Health Insurance Plan for the entire policy year.
- Friday 3rd Week Fall Quarter; 5 pm – DEADLINE by which a student can appeal the decision if their waiver is denied.
- JULY 31 – Date that coverage ends for students enrolled in the College Health Insurance Plan.
College Health Insurance Plan
All students default to enrolled in the College health insurance if no action is taken. In an effort to ensure all students have access to healthcare and are sufficiently covered by health insurance in case of illness or injury, Kalamazoo College requires students to carry adequate health insurance. To comply with Kalamazoo College’s Health Insurance Policy, the ANNUAL health insurance enrollment/waiver period is May-August to be completed at CHP Student Health. If the College health insurance is waived by September 30, it will be removed from the bill. If it is NOT waived by September 30, you will automatically be enrolled in and billed for the student insurance plan for the entire policy year.
Kalamazoo College Health Insurance Costs and Other Coverage
Please see full policy for details at CHP Student Health.
- Deductibles: $200/ individual at a preferred provider. All visits/services performed in the Student Health Center have no copay and no deductible.
- Co-payments/co-insurance: 20% coinsurance.
- Out of pocket expenses maximum: $4,000/individual at preferred providers.
- Covered medications tiered copays: $0, $10, $25, $75, $100; however, —please see policy for details at CHP Student Health.
- Preventative services covered at any in-network provider and at the Student Health Center.
- There are in-network providers including doctors, urgent care, hospital, and pharmacies throughout Kalamazoo and all of the US. There is out of network coverage abroad; please see policy for copay/co insurance details at CHP Student Health.
- The plan covers special conditions or treatments such as pregnancy, psychiatric care and physical therapy, the same as any illness.
- Until age 19 specialists such as eye doctors and dentists are covered. Age 19 and up has limited coverage
Waiving the Kalamazoo College Health Insurance Plan
Please note, to waive the Kalamazoo College Student Health Insurance Plan, your health insurance must meet the following requirements:
- based in the United States (compliant with all Federal PPACA guidelines)
- have a deductible that is $4000 or less
- have in-network coverage in the Kalamazoo area (must not be out of state Medicaid or out of state HMO).
These requirements will be verified during the waiver process at CHP Student Health. If your insurance doesn’t meet the requirements, you will be enrolled in the Kalamazoo College Student Health Insurance Plan by August 1.
For tax form purposes, the Student Health Insurance website WILL ask for your Social Security number.
All international students are enrolled in the Kalamazoo College Student Health Insurance Plan and cannot waive off the plan.
Students on study abroad need to have either US based insurance that has passed the college’s waiver process or the College insurance. Insurances issued by the study abroad host country cannot be used in place of the College insurance or insurance that has passed the waiver process.
Please note: The college does not charge an administrative or processing fee. The cost is to purchase health insurance coverage for one year for the student.
If you have insurance, you must have an approved waiver or you will be responsible for the full school year premium. Insurance premiums cannot be prorated. To receive your approved waiver:
- Visit CHP Student Health during the waiver period.
- Click on the Waive or Enroll tab
- Sign On using your K email and password (you can reset your password if needed also) OR Create a New Account if you are an entering student
- Continue to complete the Waiver or Enrollment form
- Print and save the confirmation page
Additional Health Insurance Resources
Students are given the opportunity each year before fall quarter starts to evaluate their health insurance coverage needs. Students can only change insurance coverage outside of this time if they have a qualifying event. It is your responsibility to review your health insurance coverage and become aware of special requirements and provisions of your plan, such as deductibles/copays, in-network versus out-of-network providers’ charges (the Student Health Center is “out of network” for all insurances, except for the Student Health Insurance Plan), and prescription coverage. Your health insurance provider’s reimbursement policies and preferred providers, pharmacies, laboratories, etc. should be well understood by the student prior to arrival at “K.” Each student will need to carry a copy of their insurance card with them and have knowledge of their prescription co-pay amount.
Additional resources for Health insurance include:
- Healthcare.gov for Health Insurance Marketplace resources
- Health Coverage Basics for the state of Michigan – includes links to apply for Medicaid (an individual cannot receive Medicaid benefits simultaneously in two states. This means you will no longer have benefits in your original state). You will need to request your campus box number to provide a local address.
- Preventative Health Services covered under the Affordable Care Act
When choosing among different health care plans, you’ll need to read the fine print and ask lots of questions such as those listed below. For answers to these questions for the K College Health Insurance Plan view the Kalamazoo College Health Costs and Other Coverage section. You can also see the full Kalamazoo College Health Insurance plan at CHP Student Health:
- What are the deductibles?
- What are the co-payments/co-insurance?
- What is the most I will have to pay out of my own pocket to cover expenses?
- Are preventative services covered at my primary care doctor, at the college health center, etc.?
- Am I able to be covered at any doctor, urgent care, hospital, or pharmacy I choose in Kalamazoo, at home, throughout the US, abroad, etc.?
- Does the plan cover special conditions or treatments such as pregnancy, psychiatric care and physical therapy?
- Will the plan cover medications my physician might prescribe?
- Are specialists such as eye doctors and dentists covered?