Frequently Asked Questions for Staff (Updated 4.27.20)

Staff Working on Campus

  • If I am on campus, do I need to wear a face covering?

Effective April 26, the order states that any individual able to medically tolerate a face covering must wear a covering over his or her nose and mouth—such as a homemade mask, scarf, bandana, or handkerchief—when in any enclosed public space. With the majority of campus working and learning from home, this may be of limited necessity; however, please wear a face covering when entering any enclosed public spaces where others may be present and social distancing may be difficult.

Remote Work and Pay

  • Who should be working from home under Governor Whitmer’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order?

In an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19 throughout the state of Michigan, the governor’s office has issued an executive order requiring Michigan residents to remain at home to the maximum extent feasible. Kalamazoo College will follow the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” order to our utmost ability, allowing on campus only those employees who must be physically present to provide essential services. Under no circumstances should a person who is ill come to campus.

These are the services that require employees to be on campus:

  • Campus Safety
  • Food, custodial and health services for the very few students still on campus
  • Direct and technical support for teaching and learning
  • Payroll and other essential business functions

With the exception of Campus Safety, other services will be limited. The main phone line, 269.337.7000, will continue to be answered.

  • Will we receive pay and benefits through this Stay Home period?

The College intends to pay employees and maintain benefits for as long as possible into the future.

  • What resources does the College provide for working remotely?

The Kalamazoo College Information Services website provides information and instructions on resources that can help you work remotely, including access to collaboration tools like Microsoft Teams. They are also regularly updating their page with announcements.

If you are unable to find the information you need from the IS website, you may contact the Help Desk. Please understand that the Help Desk team is experiencing a high volume of calls and requests and response times may be longer than usual.

  • What if items I need for remote work are still at the office?

Staff who need to come to campus to retrieve equipment may do so; however, please coordinate the timing with your supervisor and practice social distancing. Please ensure that return visits to campus are only for essential items in keeping with the governor’s order.

  • How should we track time for hourly employees working from home?

Hourly employees must track all time worked. No untracked work should be performed. Employees may not work overtime without express, written approval from the supervisor. Time spent performing work should be recorded as work time, regardless of your physical location. We anticipate that there may be funding sources available to help offset costs related to the COVID-19 outbreak. Properly tracking this time will aid the College in providing documentation on COVID-19 response expenses.

Hourly employees should use the special code ‘C19’ on their timesheets to note time that they were available to come to work but were unable to do so because of social distancing requirements or the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order.

The C19 code should be used to fill in for hours that you would have worked if COVID-19 response were not at play. Here’s an example.

Typical, pre-COVID-19 schedule: 8 a.m.–5 p.m. with one-hour unpaid lunch:

  • In: 8 a.m.
  • Out: 12 p.m.
  • In: 1 p.m.
  • Out: 5 p.m.
  • Total hours worked and paid: 8

Current COVID-19 response situation: Work three hours in the morning.

  • In: 8 a.m.
  • Out: 11 a.m.
  • C19: 5
  • Total hours paid: 8

Employee Health

  • What if I’m sick during this Stay Home period?

In the event you are ill, taking care of someone who is ill, and you are an hourly worker, please use the “Break Day” code rather than Emergency Time.

While the College expects you will honor your work commitments and share childcare duties with other adults in the household (if applicable), if you are caring for a school age child because school is closed due to COVID-19, or taking care of a child whose daycare is closed, you may use the “Break Day” code rather than Emergency Time for hours spent caring for your children.

  • If I am diagnosed with COVID-19, who should I notify and what are my leave benefits?

In such an event, you should notify Jenn Williams at She will work with you to identify the leave benefits for which you might be eligible. When you provide notice that you have been confirmed positive, please also provide a list of any members of the Kalamazoo College community who you recall being in direct contact and close proximity to during the previous 14 days.

  • What if someone in my family is diagnosed with COVID-19? Do I need to notify the College? Can I take time off to care for them?

Please notify your supervisor and plan to self-quarantine for the recommended 14 days. You may take time off to care for a member of your household as a result of COVID-19.

  • How is the College supporting the health and safety of essential staff on campus?

The College has taken important steps in support of social distancing so that those who must remain on campus have minimal contact with others. Faculty and staff are strongly advised to stay away from campus as much as possible during the “Stay Safe Stay Home” order in order to minimize contact for essential services  staff who must be on campus. Custodial services are limited to occupied residence halls, reduced bathroom cleanings, centralized garbage pick up for essential service employees, and other limited services. Only a member of President’s Staff can designate an essential service employee who must be on campus to fulfill their duties.

  • What resources are available for employee well-being?

Please be reminded that the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is designed to help navigate through many of life’s ups and downs. A licensed professional counselor can help with stress and anxiety, relationship issues, and more. The work/life specialists can help to find resources in the community on many topics including elder/child care and financial services.

Learn more about this free and confidential program by visiting

Human Resources and Payroll Support

  • How do I contact HR or the business office if I have questions about pay or benefits?

Please email or, and someone will follow up as soon as possible.

  • What if I need to pick up a paycheck?

Employees are strongly recommended to register for direct deposit. Checks may not be picked up.  The Business Office is closed to all walk-in traffic and the building is locked.  Checks are being mailed.

  • I have a job posted in my area—can I continue through the hiring process?

Yes, the selection process may continue if circumstances permit. There is a message on the staff searches pages that indicates that search processes may be delayed as a result of COVID-19 response. Questions about searches may be directed to Renee Boelcke at

Return to all Coronavirus Information and Updates